Role: IT Support Engineer Apprentice
Department: Support Service
Line Manager: Ben Thurbon
Location: Head Office, Baltic House, DL5 6EN
DBS check required: No
General Job Description:
Baltic Apprenticeships are a leading provider of apprenticeships, we exist to help young people start their career within the IT, Tech and Digital sector. We always practice what we preach, which is why we are very excited to be recruiting an IT Support Apprentice!
This is an excellent opportunity to start your career in IT and build up your experience as part of our friendly IT support team. You’ll be helping to keep our systems running and supporting everyone at Baltic with their technology issues.
Full training and support will be provided, so we don’t expect you to know everything right away – you don’t need to be put off by technical jargon! We’re looking for someone who is eager to learn new skills in a supportive environment. If you enjoyed IT at school, have an interest in technology or like solving problems, we would love to hear from you!
Typical roles and responsibilities include:
- 1st Line support duties
- Supporting users over call and email
- Fixing and troubleshooting hardware issues
- Supporting customers with issues on site.
What working at Baltic Apprenticeships is like:
At Baltic Apprenticeships, we have over 100 employees and we all work together as one team to help change futures. We know that we could not operate as efficiently without our brilliant IT Team, which is why we need you to come aboard!
As an IT Support Apprentice, you will respond to tickets logged by our employees, install and set up computer systems and problem solve hardware and software faults, either over the phone or face to face. You won’t do this alone, you will have your Manager’s support every step of the way!
You will join a small and friendly team, who are always willing to go the extra mile, often referred to as Baltic Heroes.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- GCSE Maths and English grades A-C (or equivalent)
- Good ICT skills and able to use Microsoft packages such as Outlook, Word and Excel
- Organised approach to work
- Able to complete tasks to deadlines
- Excellent communication skills; written and verbal
- Ability to work in a team
- Hardworking and willing to learn
Who we’re looking for:
The perfect candidate will be curious about IT and eager to develop themselves. We’re looking for someone who is:
- Enthusiastic and Mature
- Excellent communication skills
- Good problem solving skills
- Eager and willing to learn
- Grade 4/C GCSE or Functional Skills Level 2 Maths
- You must have a valid and eligible residency status to apply for this role. For more information, please read Annex A.
Your training programme:
You’ll be based full-time at our Head Office, with blocks of time set aside every 6-8 weeks for training. You will be supported throughout by your Learning Mentor and your Manager, who has previously been through an IT apprenticeship with Baltic!
At Baltic, we were the first training provider to offer a completely tech-focused, tech-driven approach to learning. You’ll learn in the SMART Classroom, an exciting and interactive online environment, and complete work-based assessment plans for your portfolio.
The Level 3 Infrastructure Technician programme is delivered over 12-15 months. There are five units:
- Network & Architecture
- Mobility and Device Fundamentals MTA (Microsoft Training Associate)
- Windows Server MTA,
- Logic & Coding
- Business Processes
You’ll learn about cabling and connectivity; wireless systems and IT test equipment; maintaining a secure network; device configuration; file sharing; data access and management; server installation; web page development; application life cycle management, and more.
Salary, hours & benefits:
- TBC per annum
- 9am to 5pm
- 25 days holiday, plus Bank Holidays
- Birthdays off (after 1 year service)
- Social Events and a fun office space
- Full training and qualifications provided by Baltic Apprenticeships
- Career progression opportunities available on completion of the apprenticeship.
Location & travel:
Baltic Apprenticeships is based in Newton Aycliffe’s Industrial Estate. You must be able to commute to Baltic House, Hilton Rd, Newton Aycliffe DL5 6EN every day via own or public transport.
What happens next?
If this sounds like the job and training opportunity for you, apply now! Once we’ve reviewed your application, one of our team at Baltic will be in touch with your next steps.
As part of our commitment to creating an equal, diverse and inclusive workplace, we positively encourage applications from all; particularly those from underrepresented communities or minority groups.
Closing date for this vacancy is 4th September 2020